Sunday, September 14, 2014

Ebb and Flow

I have been thinking a lot about love lately.

Is simply loving someone enough anymore?
How well do I love others?
Do I allow love in?
Does love mean the same as it did to me 10 years ago?

I am finding that real love suffers an evolutionary process that many either do not anticipate or are not invested enough to withstand. The ebb and flow of love are like the ocean waves against the shore, and the waves themselves can be more passionate than others, depending on the moon and the tide.

The difference between love and the sea is that unlike the ocean, love can dry up completely if it is unattended. It is not self sustaining. Without a consistent interest in loves well being, the survival or revival becomes less likely over time.

I imagine the shipyard of broken hearts would be much less if we considered more of how we love others.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be thinking about this today, and possibly all week. The only contribution I have in this pre-caffeine moment is that love should inspire and drive one to continuously work on the relationship. Periodically, I evaluate all of my relationships that include people I truly love, remember why I have loved them before and why I might still love them now. If the reasons are good, I will continue to put in the effort.

    ReplyDelete